- 0 Followers
Museums! Books! Musicals! Watch and Enjoy from Home!
American Museum of Natural History: While the Museum is closed during the COVID-19 outbreak, you can still enjoy their exhibits and online offerings, from materials for families and teachers to virtual tours, videos, games, and more.
- OLogy, the science website for kids and families
- Four Museum courses at Khan Academy
- Museum quizzes through Kahoot
- Curriculum collections (Activities, articles, videos and more, for educators, families, students, and anyone interested in teaching or learning about science.)
- Grade-specific educator guides and activity sets based on the latest exhibitions, including:
- T. rex: The Ultimate Predator
- The Nature of Color
- Butterfly Conservatory
- The Space Show Worlds Beyond Earth
- Coursera (including three courses for educators)
There are also ways to visit the
- Find additional videos, blog posts, and interactive content on amnh.org/explore
- Learn more about your favorite exhibits by downloading their free app Explorer
- See Museum highlights at Google Arts and Culture or visit via a virtual tour
- Follow the Museum on social media:
- Facebook: The Museum is featuring an Exhibit of the Day as well as previously recorded tours with tour guides on Facebook Live on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 2 pm
- Instagram: The Museum is featuring an Exhibit of the Day daily and hosting the video series Shelf Life, about stories from the Museum’s scientific collections, on IG TV.
- Twitter : The Museum is featuring an Exhibit of the Day and an #AMNHDailyLesson highlighting an educator resource
- YouTube channel: In addition to rich video content, the Museum is planning YouTube Premieres to stream previously produced videos featuring live chats with scientists starting on Friday, March 27, at 1:30 pm
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum : The Museum continues to serve, offering free access to online programming. It has assembled a one-stop-shop of all its online resources, Experience Intrepid Anywhere, where the public, including educators, parents, students, veterans and military families, can stay engaged with the Museum digitally through teacher and home-school resources, virtual tours, oral histories, virtual talks, virtual veterans programs, and much more.
Access to all of their online programs and digital content is free. Available and Upcoming Programs Include:
- Stories from Women Warriors: Tuesday, March 31st 5 pm - 6 pm (Online Registration Required)
- Virtual Tour: Tour the Intrepid, submarine Growler, the Concorde and the Space Shuttle Pavilion without leaving your home.
- Intrepid’s YouTube Channel: 300 engaging videos featuring aircraft highlights, Women in History, behind-the-scenes features, collection showcases and much more.
- Oral Histories: View and listen to stories from crew members and experts regarding the Intrepid from 1943 to 1974, the Growler, the space shuttle orbiter Enterprise and the supersonic airliner Concorde.
- Intrepid Animated: Stories from four oral history narrators in animated form.
- Intrepid’s Collections: Explore the Museum’s collection of items related to the service history of its vessels and aircraft. This searchable database provides access to archival aids, transcripts of oral history projects, and other interesting items.
- Intrepid’s Journey: Learn about the life of this famed former aircraft carrier and how it was transformed into the Museum and National Historic Landmark we know today.
New Victory Theater: With the season canceled until June 14, New Victory has created a new web-based arts program families can use for free called “New Victory Arts Break.” These interactive videos and activities are great for kids and families to do together during this period of social isolation. Each series of videos will feature a different art form and include activities to do Monday - Friday.
Virtual Museum: Google Arts & Culture teamed up with over 2500 museums and galleries around the world to bring anyone and everyone virtual tours and online exhibits of some of the most famous museums around the world.
Virtual Book Clubs: Join your favorite authors on Zoom where you can have spirited discussions from the privacy of our own quarantined space!
Musicals: No curtain time. You have the best seat in the house!
Gotham Writer's Workshop: Thinking about taking a Gotham *Zoom class but not sure what that means? On Wednesday, April 1 and Thursday, April 2, you'll have the chance to find out at their Spring Open House, via Zoom videoconferencing. Over the course of two evenings they're offering 16 free one-hour classes in everything from Creative Writing 101 to TV Writing, from Songwriting to Memoir. Meet their instructors, do a little writing, and, see how Zoom works, firsthand.
Free Streaming Options
92Y's Archives: Watch and participate in select 92Y programs with free live broadcasts!
IDFA: free films from the film festival & IDFA collection.
Remote Viewing is a new daily double feature with two thematically-related cinema picks that are available from free or commonly-available streaming sources.
The Lot Radio: local NYC, not for profit, 24/7 steaming radio station. "The best and most varied music New York City has to offer".
Brooklyn Brainery: We host affordable classes on anything and everything, all determined by the things you want to learn and teach. It's a place to experiment with all kinds of topics, hobbies, and ideas — think book clubs on steroids.
To support our community during this challenging time, we've put together a care package that can help you handle stress and foster peace of mind wherever you are. The care package includes art and mind-body practices to help change perspectives, manage emotions, and cultivate compassion. Check back as we update the care package with new resources and opportunities for inspiration.
From MommyPoppins: 20+ (Mostly FREE) Online Learning Resources, Apps, and Games for Kids
- JSTOR Announced open access to the public through June 30, 2020.
- Online academic resource with over 6,000 ebooks and over 150 journals accessible without the need for online login.
- Scrib’d Free access to their online library for 30 days.
- Access millions of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines articles and more.
- Minecraft Education EditionFree gamified learning perfect for Minecraft fanatics
- Focuses on coding, math, problem-solving all via the Minecraft way.
Free video conferencing:
- Zoom For free, you can host up to 100 participants, have unlimited 1 on 1 meetings, host 40-minute group meetings and receive online support.
Free Fitness and Wellness Services
By far most important are the wellness of you and your family. Many companies and organizations are providing free online services to ensure mental and physical health needs remain a top priority. Starting your morning off with 5 to 10 minutes of meditation and 20 to 30 minutes of exercise can do wonders for your stress levels and mood throughout the rest of your day. If you’re at home with your family, invite them to join you to create a happy indoor environment. Here are some resources I recommend:
- 10% Happier meditation app Free for healthcare professionals who email email@example.com
- Free live sanity breaks at 3pm EST every weekday with Dan Harris and some of the world’s best meditation teachers: tenpercent.com/live
- Free Coronavirus Sanity Guide: https://www.tenpercent.com/coronavirussanityguide
- Free meditations on their site: https://www.headspace.com/covid-19
- Shine: Care for Your Coronavirus Anxiety Free mental health toolkit with daily mantras and meditations.
- Curious Tribes Free mental health care with science-backed methods and facilitated virtual groups.
Fitness Apps and Videos
- Peloton at-home fitness appFree extended 90-day trial for at-home workouts application during the coronavirus outbreak. The in-app workouts don’t require any Peloton equipment, and include yoga, HIIT, stretching, and other categories.
- Nike Training Club app and Nike Run Club app Free guided training and outdoor running sessions
- POPSUGAR fitness videos Always free, offering a variety of workouts from HIIT, abs, dance and kickboxing.
- Tone It Up fitness app 100% free to new members for the next month. The app includes a variety of workouts, from barre to HIIT to weights. It also offers meditation sessions that can balance out intense workouts.
- CARROT Fit app Free for the next two weeks in the App Store compared to its normal price of $4.99.
- Down Dog Yoga app Free from now until April 1.